Fallen Army

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fallen Army Community. Everyone's welcome.

3 posters

GB Project

Ranger 50
    Ranger 50

GB Project Empty GB Project

Post by Ranger 50 Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Eh, I got my MIDI-USB cable about a week ago (a cable which links my full-sized Yamaha piano to my Macbook), and I started messing around with Garageband (music-making program). I'd done compositions before, but that was only with a teensy MIDI controller with a range of about two octaves, which sucked. I just finished a new project, which I aimed to be an orchestra piece. It kinda sucks but I see it as an improvement to my previous ones. Took me around 6 hours.

I just thought I'd share it with the rest of youz.

GB Project Empty Re: GB Project

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:33 am

A SOFTWARE....THAT IS A ...VIRTUAL PIANO...COULD THIS MEAN I CAN FINALLY GET MY HANDS ON A PIANO LESSON???<_< ranger? care to share more? ...erm....like...idk....download links? eheh...ehehhe....
    ._.
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:42 am

That's flippin' Reincarnation. :O

No, seriously. Compare Mima's Reincarnation with this.
    And anything sounding the least like Reincarnation by itself is one step closer to awesome.

All in all, amazing work as always, Rangur.
    Gloria of Greenguard
    Gloria of Greenguard

Squad : The GoG Squad

Post by Gloria of Greenguard Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:24 am

Nicely done.

There are only a couple spots that could be better (not that I could make them that way) and you probably already know what you want to do with those. Imagine some of the more sweeping moments in LoTRs (you know those big camera sweeps of wide areas). This song would fit with some of those I believe.

For my part, I just enjoy playing music. I play it every chance I get (I literally do not have the time to practice half the music I play). I had my first competition on Saturday. Played in a cantata on Sunday. I have the same cantata to play in tonight. An offertory to play next Sunday. A practice for another offertory next Wednesday. I am going to start a new piece for my next recital. And this is all on top of my normal lessons, quartets and orchestras. I love playing music.

On the other hand. I hate studying theory, and composing just isn't my thing. So it is interesting seeing the results of someone who does seem to enjoy composing.
    Ranger 50
    Ranger 50

Post by Ranger 50 Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:54 am

@Sayor,

Sayor wrote:A SOFTWARE....THAT IS A ...VIRTUAL PIANO...COULD THIS MEAN I CAN FINALLY GET MY HANDS ON A PIANO LESSON???

Uh, not really. Sorry to break it to ya. I mean, if you don't have an actual piano/keyboard/MIDI controller (I'll explain that in a bit) at home, then pretty much the only 'virtual keyboard' you are going to get is the Musical Typing feature that comes built in with the program.

Garageband is a program designed by Apple and built 'specially for the Mac and Mac only. (Unless you run OSX on a Windows interface using VMWF/Parallels). Pretty much, you can make your own music, either by putting together any of the approx. 5 thousand pre-loaded loops, or by using the Musical Typing/MIDI features to make your own melodies by actually playing + recording them. It comes loaded with everything from drum tracks to synthesizers, plus a range of software instruments which you can make your keyboard sound like.

I have an actual full sized Yamaha piano which has a MIDI In-Out plugin feature. Hence, I got a cable which can link my Macbook (Garageband obv) to the piano. Once that's setup, I can pretty much select an instrument I want to play with, hit record and start making music.

Fortunately, if you're looking for online tutorials and such, Garageband comes stuffed with those. You can get everything from piano lessons to troubleshooting vids explaining problems with latency. I haven't really delved into that part of Garageband that much, but I'll take a look and tell ya what I got.

@Sold,

Reincarnation is flippin awesome, but I don't know how you got the comparison. I only found similarities in that orchestra instruments were used in both pieces. Reincarnation had beats, whilst mine didn't. Plus, Reinc had a faster tempo and generally sounded pretty epic. But thank you for the comparison anyways. =P

@Gloria,

I think I'm kinda your opposite, in that.. I usually dislike practicing the few instruments I play aside from the drums, which are just frikken epic. I'm fine with piano for the most part. It's pretty much all in the lessons - the reason I'm okay with piano practicing is because my mother gives me lessons (professional pianist), but I go somewhere else to get tutored privately with violin. I dun liek dat D:
    But I love making music, altho I kinda suck and 95% of my projects kinda start sucking after the first few measures (which I immediately abandon and start anew).

I guess we can link, in that I HATE THEORY AS WELL. My mother made me spend around 6 hours of theory studying every frikken day for two-three weeks before my Grade 5 theory exam. I'm not sure you do gradings, or whether the States run on ABRSM gradings or not. But here, to do higher practical grades in any instrument (G6 and above), you gotta take a G5 theory exam.
    Twasn't that hard, and I am pleased with my mark but overall I don't really like theory, and I'm pretty sure I've forgotten everything by now ^____^
    Gloria of Greenguard
    Gloria of Greenguard

Post by Gloria of Greenguard Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:50 am

Theory haters FTW!!!!!

Ok.....it may be a tad useful......maybe.
    Ranger 50
    Ranger 50

Post by Ranger 50 Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 am

It does come a big help when you're talking about transpositions etc during music making. Also helps when you have a basic understanding about the key intervals between a set of chords, things like that. And if you know about diminished/dominant 7ths, perfect/imperfect cadences and how minors are linked to a major key it helps when you want to study chord progressions during a composing project.
    Gloria of Greenguard
    Gloria of Greenguard

Post by Gloria of Greenguard Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:57 am

I know :-)

Twas a joke.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 pm