Fallen Army

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fallen Army Community. Everyone's welcome.

+5
pipoca77
Ranger 50
Castle
Xin
Sold Out
9 posters

Touhou!

Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Touhou! Empty Touhou!

Post by Sold Out Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:24 pm

So... Well, Touhou - pretty much everyone in here has heard about it, but not everyone knows what it is.

Well, actually it is a game series - an Arcade game series of the genre Danmaku. This means you will have to dodge bullets... a lot of them. Usually flying in beautiful patterns of death. They were created by one person alcoholic god nicknamed ZUN and they got known for their characters and their excellent soundtrack - I personally found the games because of the music. Really worth listening to.
    Here are some examples is you want to hear it: Lullaby of Deserted Hell -- Faith is for the transient people
    Not to forget, most of the songs I put on the mp3 player tool by now were Touhou songs.

It's the kind of genre I never suspected I could love - but there is no game and there never will be a game - that I love more than this series. And they aren't easy, too.

There are two kinds of them: The main kind are bullet-dodging games (as seen below), where you have to get the patterns and survive. Your hitbox is a tad smaller than the character, and in every TH after part 6 you get a hitbox when you are flying slowly. You get a maximum of four lives at the beginning, and if one bullet touches you, you lose a life.You get so-called "bombs" which inflict damage on your bosses and clear out all the bullets on the field, but you gotta be careful, because you only have a limited amount of them.

There are also two fighting game spinoffs, which are also unique, because there is a lot of ranged combat and magic, next to other things.

Touhou! Touhou

Now, what I like so much about it is the story-aspect (which is more defined by the songs); all characters have got their detailed and lovely as well as sometimes sad backstory. Normal people, shrine maidens, gods, demons, elves, makai, youkai, insane vampires, the princess of the dead, humans who turned completely immortal just to get revenge... A lot of it was actually written by the fans.

Touhou is set on a little japanese "island" - it was once a hub to all sorts of demons, and humans went there to drive them out. One of the greater youkai (Yukari, the keeper of all borders) worked together with a human shrine maiden in order to build an impenetrable barrier and the only one who can cross it is Yukari. So, basically, Touhou is always "today" - but Gensokyo never met most inventions.

Let's take one random character (and there are many of them)... Parsee Mizuhashi - her song-name "Green Eyed Jealousy" (ZUN apparenlty likes Shakespeare) explains a lot already. She actually envies all who can cross the one bridge she has to guard (the bridge to the underworld - and thus, in her grief she attacks everyone who wants to cross it - and she has coped with her feelings for so long, she can by now control other people's jealousy...
    "Jealousy only begets further jealousy, so as she went mad from her own, she became able to fan the flames of jealousy in the hearts of others."

Usually, ZUN sells those games at japanese conventions, but since there is a huge demand for them in Japan, it gets sold there quite a lot - getting it in the western hemisphere however, proves quite difficult and only real fans have them (daaamn, I gotta order those), but since ZUN is such a nice guy, he doesn't mind if people download it online, unlike companies. Quite the opposite even - he never wanted to get those games to get so famous. I think he just wants his next beer, that's all.

Sadly, my wonderful download link with English translations broke, I will try to find something for you guys.

Well, the game's music (which is quite good at telling stories all by itself) and the fan's interpretations caused this to become very, very popular. Especially in Japan of course, where there are full concerts for this. If you know all the characters you will notice that there always are Touhou fans and imagery in avatars, topics etc. on every other site. And now what is interesting is the sheer amount of fan-art and other fan-stuff for it.

Well, I hope at least one of you read it (unlikely as it is), but it was a bit of fun writing this down anyway.

Some examples: (Also check out my signature and Sayor's signature ;D)
    This was all fan-made by people just because they love it.

Touhou! Touhou-aya1

Last edited by Sold Out on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:23 am; edited 4 times in total
    Xin
    Xin

Squad : Apocalyptic Noodles

Touhou! Empty Re: Touhou!

Post by Xin Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Uhhh thanks?
    Maybe I'll try this out.
    And as soon as I saw this title I actually thought this topic was by Sayor :P
    Castle
    Castle

Post by Castle Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 pm

I LOVE The picture of the girl with the orange leaves.. I love Autumn. Soo much. AMAZING Detail in that also.. I mean.. Wow.

Anyway.. cool sounding game. I might try it if I don't forget. :l
    Ranger 50
    Ranger 50

Post by Ranger 50 Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:48 pm

I was wondering when you'd finally get round to posting this ^^

And yes, everybody, I've played Touhou, and it is one epic arcade game. I don't think Sold really elaborated too much on what the game actually is - but you just basically choose one of a few characters, pick a special ability, and start the game. The difficulty ranges from Easy to Lunatic (I think). You use the arrow keys to move, Z to shoot, and X to use the special ability. You progress throughout the game, facing different characters, like the ones Sold mentioned (shrine maidens, people etc) who pretty much try and kill you by peppering you with all sorts of insane stuff - knives, bombs... It's kinda hard to describe. You gotta see it for yourself.

There's a series for the game. I've only played 06 and 07.5 but hey they are awesome.
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:16 am

Ranger 50 wrote:There's a series for the game. I've only played 06 and 07.5 but hey they are awesome.

Nu, you played PCB, which is Touhou 07.
    7.5 is a fighting game spinoff, as well as SWR.

Updated it a bit to explain the gameplay nearer. Sadly, the Brasilian's uploads are down. I will find something for you guise, tho.

Oi, Castle, I can totally see you liking the Aki sisters, they are lolis gods of Autumn. :3
    Of course, picking favorite characters is neiter easy nor do you have to, but I gotta say I have a favorite character.
    Mind you, this is average TH fanart, and there are tons and tons of it.
    I ****** envy those artists. :/

Touhou! 4988230390_208cb35a70

Last edited by Sold Out on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Castle
    Castle

Post by Castle Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:48 am

Oh Mai Gawd. o: I Lurves it.
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Btw, if you want the big version of the pic: I have a link. e.e

Also, for game-links:

This is a full pack with every TH game up until now and fan-made games like Super Marisa Land. <--- A million times harder than mario. You don't have to dodge Danmaku-bullets in Mario Land.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6313559/Touhou_Project_-_Collection_2010_

And this one is just a collection of the games by themselves:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5057070/Touhou_Project_Compilation_[TH01_-_TH12.3]

I don't know if the English patches are pre-installed, but if they aren't, just tell me and I will find them for you, you lazy bums.

Btw, did I mention that the fan-music is FU**ING AWESOME?

Yes, that is the 205th classic track in someone's Touhou list.
    Xin
    Xin

Post by Xin Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 pm

You have to download touhou??
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Yes.

And if you would read, I explained everything in the original text.
    Btw, I usually don't like downloading stuff, too. But Touhou, that's something else.
    Ranger 50
    Ranger 50

Post by Ranger 50 Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Sold Out wrote:http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6313559/Touhou_Project_-_Collection_2010_

And this one is just a collection of the games by themselves:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5057070/Touhou_Project_Compilation_[TH01_-_TH12.3]

Rofl, what happened to the prohibition of sharing warez?
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 am

ZUN doesn't sue people because he's so damn nice.
    It's like downloading South Park - there's no risk.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:31 am

Ranger 50 wrote:I was wondering when you'd finally get round to posting this ^^

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!!!! WOOOO TOUHOU FTW!!!!!!!
    And ranger, I heard Sold saying u didnt make past stage 4 ("sold said so") Well with my net gone for 4days, i forced myself into playing it. I <3 TH 06's Stage 5boss theme tune!! also U.N. Owen was her, Extra Stage Boss IS EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ._. so yea....TH rox...
    Ranger 50
    Ranger 50

Post by Ranger 50 Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 am

Yay for rubbing it in other people's faces D:

Ohwell. At least I do better on 07 than on 06.

Bah. First chance I get, I'm opening up Parallels and giving another go on 06. Haven't played touhou for a while Dx
    Xin
    Xin

Post by Xin Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:23 am

U.N Owen???
    Whaddafuq?
    I'm reading a book in english (which is about....60 yrs old :P) called, "And Then There Were None" (original title, "Ten Little Indians") and the killer's fake name is U.N. Owen :OOO
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:33 am

Go figure. The second-to-last spell Flan uses to kill you is called "Secret Barrage - And Then There Will Be None?"
    Xin
    Xin

Post by Xin Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:35 am

This is getting scary.
    Because I'm reading the book right now O.O
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:53 am

People agree Flandre is the creepiest of all characters, too.

Here, two pictures. Both fit her perfectly well.

http://lordkane.net/Images/FlandreScarlet.jpg

http://www.monstergirlbooru.com/_images/addfebb2d9acff872acc6389e34daad5/214%20-%20flandre_scarlet%20insane%20red_eyes%20touhou%20wings.jpg
    Xin
    Xin

Post by Xin Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:55 am

. . .

No comment O.O
    I have now seen a she-devil.
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Now stop just talking and give the games a shot. :3

And since Xin is definitely too lazy to google the song, this is "U.N. Owen was her?". One of the most insane songs out there.
    And a song remixed so often it got it's own meme.

This one is a gameplay footage.
    Isn't Flandre one of the cutest things ever?

It gets even more insane around 2:10.

It's also sometimes played by insane people. ^^
    Also, she's a great character for soccer games.
    Xin
    Xin

Post by Xin Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:51 pm

So all you do in touhou is spam?
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Erm. All you do in Touhou is survive spam.

Spam in beautiful patterns accompanied by death and destruction and colorful rainbow-lasers of death.

In other words: You dodge bullets and lasers.

There are also two fighting games.
    Not to forget the amount of completely different fangames.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:56 pm

I of those pweeetty bullets hit u and ur done for. Game over. T_T get it Xin?
    Xin
    Xin

Post by Xin Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Me iz understanding game. Me wants play it.
    Sold Out
    Sold Out
    Admin

Post by Sold Out Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:33 pm

So... you have anything you need to play it.

Erm. Y'know.

^^'

(Maaan, my addiction to this must have annoyed some people by now...)
    Xin
    Xin

Post by Xin Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:33 pm

One of those 'some people' is this people, xin. lol bad grammar much :P

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am